Tuesday, February 8, 2011

21! :)

My 21st birthday was definitely under the definition of adventure.
I woke up on my birthday to go to class at 9.  When I opened my eyes, I noticed my left eye was throbbing in pain and I looked in the mirror to find that it was extremely bloodshot.  I got really worried, and thought, "Of course this happens on my birthday."  If you know me, and have for awhile, it is a tradition that something bad literally happens every year.  I'm sort of used to it now.
Well, I called my mom after going to the health center and getting my eye probed and prodded and flushed and dyed.  I was really upset and worried that something was wrong.  I was thinking worse case scenario.  (of course!)  :)
So the health center refers me to the Muncie Eye Center.  I would recommend it to ANYONE.  They are amazing.  I was so scared I would have to wear those stupid sunglasses to my 21st birthday party if I got my eyes dilated, so my mom came and met me there.  (thanks, Mom!)  While in the waiting room I got to overhear the sweetest conversation between the oldest couple I have ever seen.  They were talking about how marriage is viewed by 1 in 2 people as obsolete.  :(  The old lady was so saddened by this.  It reminded me of what I want to be like with my future spouse.  I want to be able to be that old couple in the eye doctor talking about how we made it 70 years of marriage, and disprove that stupid statistic.  :)
On my way into the examination room, the nurse named Kelly was cracking me up.  She kept talking about how I am the youngest patient she's seen in a while.  I was one of the only patient's that could keep up with her walking pace.  :)  She also thought it was hilarious I was there on my 21st birthday when a few ladies ahead of me that was being checked was celebrating her 91st birthday.  :) It's crazy to think that's 70 years in my future.
They checked my eyesight and asked me a bunch of questions, then examined my eye.  The doctor, Dr. Singh (she's amazing) told me that I had an ULCER in my eyeball.  How does that happen??????!!!!!  Well apparently putting in completely new contacts can cause you to get an infection in your eye if you aren't careful...just a warning for those of you who wear contacts...be EXTREMELY careful and wash your hands thoroughly before putting them in your eyes.
She prescribed me some eye drops that sting like heck and give me the worst taste in my mouth (feels like I sprayed Chloraseptic in my throat).  It's the weirdest reaction I've ever gotten from an eye drop, that's for sure!  Well, I had to put them in every hour that I was awake, and had to wake up every 2 hours throughout the night to apply the eye drops as well.  BUT...a very positive thing came out of this...I got to miss classed the day after my 21st birthday!  :)  Plus, it hurts to focus on something, so it wouldn't have done me any good to go to class in the first place.
After my appointment, my mom and I ran some errands and tried to get a parking pass but realized all the way through the process that I wasn't able to get one for her...she had to get it herself.  POINTLESS.
So with that aside, and the fact that I had to wear my "teacher" glasses to my party, I had a wonderful time anyway.  Kelley Wiley and the Warner's surprised me by coming up to Muncie to celebrate with me and little Miss Abby Warner made my night when she gave me a tiara and necklace that matched hers!  :)  I love her to death!
Adding to the adventure of that day was my birthday cake.  My mom wanted to order a Glee cake but Walmart didn't have one, so she ordered a Barbie cake.  What came out of that order was some off-brand fairy princess cake!  :)  It was funny and cute.  Abby loved it and got to keep the princess figurine.
Then came the drinks and food!
I drank one strawberry margarita, one raspberry margarita, and a few sips of a disgustingly strong pina colada.  We went to Puerta Vallarta Mexican restaurant in Muncie (my favorite!).  I barely ate anything, so you can guess what the entertainment was after dinner...me.  Everyone on the ride back to the dorm thought it was so hilarious!  :)  It was so fun!
There are plenty of other little things that happened, but it definitely will be a birthday I never forget!  Thank you everyone for all of the birthday wishes, and thank you to those who came to my party!  It was an amazingly adventurous day!  :)  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment