Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Calling

Most people know I am studying to become an elementary school teacher, but few people know why.  Lately I have felt God calling me to do something different as a teacher, educator, and mentor.  I always seemed to let myself think I'm not a teacher yet, but that's not true.  I can live each day as a teaching moment for anyone I come in contact with.  Teachers are defined by the world as the ones who stand in front of your children and tell them the basic rules of grammar, recite historical facts, and coordinate lessons based on a curriculum picked by your school district.  No one knows the REAL meaning behind being an educator.
We are the ones who hold hands with and hug children who never get affection at home.  We are the ones who may have to sacrifice our own savings to provide a meal for the students who don't get one.  We are the ones who stay up late preparing lessons, and get up early to prepare even more before the kids come in.  We are the ones who supposedly have the summer "off", but we are busy coming up with ideas for lessons for the next school year, editing ones we have already done, and preparing our hearts for the children who we will come in contact with.  We pray for the children we cannot help, and for the ones who we know will succeed.  We are the ones who wipe your kids' snotty noses, and help them tie their shoes before recess.  We teach them life skills such as courage, generosity, kindness, respect, and perseverance.  We are the ones who have to deal with parents who don't care about their kids, therefore we are the ones who have to care for them.  We are teachers.
Don't get me wrong.  There are amazing parents who do everything for their children, and teachers are not better than other professions.  But I do believe God intends for teachers to be those who show a different kind of love.  The love that can be extended to hundreds and hundreds of children as if they are our own.  This love cannot be replaced.  It is agape love.
My heart overflows when I think of the children who will walk into my future classroom.  I have no idea what it will be like, but I know it will be the most rewarding time of my life.  I am so incredibly excited to start.  I am blessed with an education that can get me the job of my dreams.  I am blessed with a family who supports me no matter what, which makes a world of difference for my future than some.
I hope this post does not come across as conceited and self-righteous, but I really want to tell the story of how I chose teaching as my dream profession.
When I was about five years old, I remember sitting in my room reading a book to my stuffed animals and dolls, because my little sister wasn't born yet, so I had no one but my toys to read to.  I remember showing the pictures and flipping the pages, enunciating every word so that the plush little dogs and babies could understand.  I somehow thought I was helping them read, and grow in some way.  I know it sounds crazy, but it was my favorite thing to do.  I would sit on my little bed and just pretend.
When Regan was born, it was a lot more fun, because she could move without me having to adjust her arm to look as though she was raising her hand for me to answer a question.  (I know, I know...I was lame.)  I was able to force someone into being my student and they couldn't refuse like my friends down the street could.  :)
One day, specifically; not sure of the exact date or year for the matter, I remember thinking how cool it would be to do this all the time.  I had an extremely inspirational teacher for two years of my elementary education.  Her name is Mattijane Jellison.  She retired my fourth grade year, and I remember crying so hard at the thought of never seeing her again, but God had other plans. (it seems as though that is a theme in my life.)  I was graduating high school and trying to figure out who to invite to my open house. My mom mentioned the fact that I should invite former teachers to come that have played an important role in my life.  I only thought of one, Mrs. Jellison.  I sent out my invites, and had high hopes she would come.  I was disappointed when she didn't show up, but I knew she was a busy woman, and probably didn't remember.  Boy was I wrong!  :)  She called my house.  I hadn't talked to her in years and years, but she made the time to call me.  I spoke with her on the phone when I called her back, and we talked for a little under 30 minutes.  She told me how sorry she was for missing my open house, but that she had a great idea.  Emily, my friend from her class, and I had been friends since, and wanted to meet up with Mrs. Jellison together.  We met at the Hamilton Restaurant in downtown Noblesville, and my first and second grade teacher bought me lunch.  :)  It was so incredibly rewarding to see her again, and know she remembered us.  She brought along a photo album from those two years in her classroom, and it was awesome to reunite and catch up 11 years later.  It felt like yesterday since I had been in that room.
To make a long story short, she inspired me to be a teacher, and I told her that.  She started to cry and felt unworthy of the recognition, but she had no idea how big of an impact she had on my life when I was seven years old.  Mrs. Jellison showed kindness in times when her students needed it the most, rewarded her students when they got something right, and told them how great they were even when they got something wrong. She believed we could all become the next president, and faithfully made sure we succeeded in whatever it was we wanted to do.  I want to be her someday.
Now that you know a little bit of the story behind my decision to be a teacher, I want to tell you about my heart for kids.  Children melt me.  I'm not sure if it's because I have always wanted to be a mommy above anything else, or just my instincts, but it's overpowering sometimes how wrapped up I get in just observing children's lives.  I babysat a little girl named Isabella for three years in high school, and then stayed involved with her life when I went to college.  To this day, it amazes me that she was barely walking when I met her, and now she is running and kicking a soccer ball as a six year old.  It's insane, and it's not cool!  hahahahaha!  :)  I think it's amazing how innocent and angelic babies are.  They give you that encouragement to be happy, and to love life.  I can't wait to be a mom someday, but I am also thrilled when thinking about my future students.
Basically, I know God has chosen me to be a teacher, but I want to prove that I am unlike anyone else.  I want to be a Mrs. Jellison to someone someday.  That's my story...my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment